The Bill enacts the Vision Zero Strategy Act, 2020. It requires the Lieutenant Governor in Council to establish the Ontario Vision Zero Strategy. The goal of the Strategy shall be to reduce the number of road deaths and serious injuries on Ontario roadways to zero. The Bill establishes requirements for the Strategy’s contents and publication, as well as for consultation during the development of the Strategy. The Bill also requires the Minister of Transportation to prepare annual reports setting out Ontario’s progress towards meeting the goal of the Strategy.
Bill 185 2020
An Act to require the establishment of a strategy to reduce the number of road deaths and serious injuries on Ontario roadways to zero
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 In this Act,
“Minister” means the Minister of Transportation; (“ministre”)
“regulations” means the regulations made under this Act; (“règlements”)
“Strategy” means the Ontario Vision Zero Strategy established under subsection 2 (1). (“stratégie”)
2 (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council shall, on or before the first anniversary of the day this Act receives Royal Assent, establish the Ontario Vision Zero Strategy.
(2) The goal of the Strategy shall be to reduce the number of road deaths and serious injuries on Ontario roadways to zero.
(3) The Strategy takes effect on the date specified in the Strategy, which shall be no later than one year after the day this Act receives Royal Assent.
Evidence-based, best practices
(4) The Strategy shall be evidence-based and draw from best practices in jurisdictions where Vision Zero strategies have been successfully implemented.
(5) The Strategy shall include, at minimum, measures to reduce injuries and deaths through,
(a) improved road design and engineering;
(b) the setting and enforcement of safe speed limits;
(c) the use and enhancement of technology;
(d) improved education respecting the rules of the road;
(e) improved enforcement of the rules of the road; and
(f) a focus on vulnerable road users, including cyclists, youth, road workers, seniors and persons with disabilities.
(6) The Minister shall make the Strategy available to the public, including by publishing it on a website of the Government of Ontario.
3 In developing the Strategy, the Minister shall consult with,
(a) representatives of municipalities;
(b) representatives of municipal transit providers; and
(c) representatives of vulnerable road users, including cyclists, youth, road workers, seniors and persons with disabilities.
4 At least once each calendar year after the Strategy is established, the Minister shall table a report in the Assembly setting out Ontario’s progress towards meeting the goal of the Strategy.
5 This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
6 The short title of this Act is the Vision Zero Strategy Act, 2020.