recommended for grade 10
Program length: 90 minutes
Students will participate in a series of engaging activities that relate to Active and Informed Citizenship, two key components in their curriculum. This program includes of a visit to the Legislative Chamber, a tour of the Legislative Building, and a participatory session or activity designed to support the civics curriculum (see options below). Please note, when the House is in session, students will observe a legislative debate from the public gallery.
- The role of a Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP), with reference to the political processes, and the electoral process
- The roles of the key figures in Ontario's Legislature and government
- The difference between government and parliament
- The rights and responsibilities of an active citizen in a democratic society
Participatory Session/Activity - Choose one of the following topics:
- Legislative Process: an interactive group session focused on the types of bills, how a bill becomes law and how the public can participate in the legislative process in Ontario.
- Election Simulation: students will participate in a mock election that demonstrates the importance and impact of voting.
- Careers: explore career options through an interactive Q & A session with an MPP and/or staff member of the Legislative Assembly to learn who will share information about their job and career path; and learn about possible careers at the Legislative Assembly and in politics.
Check out our Teacher Resources and Quizzes.
Monday to Thursday (when the Legislature is sitting*): 11:30 am; 1:00 pm; 2:30 pm
Monday to Friday (when the Legislature is not sitting*): 10:00 am; 11:30 am; 1:00 pm; 2:30 pm *Consult the Parliamentary Calendar
Advance registration is required. To book an education program please submit Request Form, and someone will contact you within 1-2 business days. For more information, call 416-325-0061 or email email@example.com. Note: Your program times and activities are subject to change without notice, due of parliamentary activities.