Introduction to Parliament
Recommended for grades 4/5/6 Program Length: 90 minutes
Maximum number of students per program: 35 (up to 3 programs may be combined depending on availability). A minimum of 2 supervisors per class is required.
Students will participate in a series of engaging activities focused on Ontario's Parliament and government that relate to key concepts of their curriculum. This program includes a tour of the historic Legislative Building, a visit to the Legislative Chamber, and a participatory group activity.
- The three levels of Government in Canada
- The function of parliament, its history and traditions
- The roles of Members of Provincial Parliament (MPPs), and the key parliamentary players
- The legislative process in Ontario, including a mock debate
- The rights and responsibilities of active citizenship
Check out our Teaching Resources and quizzes.
Monday to Thursday (when the Legislature is sitting):11:30 am; 1:00 pm; 2:30 pm *Consult the Parliamentary Calendar
Monday to Friday (when the Legislature is not sitting*): 10:00 am; 11:30 am; 1:00 pm; 2:30 pm
Advanced registration is required: To request a school program, please submit a Request Form, and we will contact you within 1-2 business days. For more information please call 416-325-0061 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Due to parliamentary events, program dates, times and activities are subject to change without notice.