This interactive, full-day program is designed to engage students in grades 7 to 12 in the parliamentary process and experience democracy first-hand. Students will participate in information sessions, workshops, and hands-on activities that will emphasize the importance of civic engagement and democratic rights and responsibilities.
Choose from one of two themes: A. The importance and impact of voting, or B. The role of media in politics. This program is offered throughout the year and will alternate themes. Please refer to the schedule to find out program availability.
Guidelines and Eligibility:
- The Democracy Day program is available to Ontario school groups in grades 7 to 12 from across the province.
- Maximum group size is up to 70, including students and adults
- The teacher must request a program by completing an online request form, choosing between theme A or B
- The teacher must ensure all appropriate arrangements have been confirmed with their school administration
- A teacher must be present at all times throughout the program
- To ensure the most relevant and engaging program, students must complete an in-class activity prior to attending their Democracy Day program at the Legislature
- Duration of the program is 6 hours, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Groups must arrive by 8:45 am.