Scouts and Guides
This program offers Scout and Guide groups a unique experience to discover Ontario's Legislative Building, learn how provincial parliament works, and explore the meaning of citizenship in a series of engaging activities. This 90-minute program consists of three segments: A visit to the Legislative Chamber; an exploration of the Legislative Building through a scavenger hunt; and a participatory mock debate (see below).
- The roles and responsibilities of MPPs in Ontario, with reference to the concepts of political parties and the electoral process
- The roles and responsibilities of the parliamentary players, as well as the legislative process in Ontario
- The rights and responsibilities of citizenship
- Architectural features and interesting details about the Chamber and the building
Issues we will ask the participants to consider:
- What happens in Parliament? What is a debate?
- What do MPPs do? How does someone become an MPP?
- What are our rights and responsibilities as citizens of Ontario?
- What historic traditions do we continue to observe?
In this segment of the program, Scouts and Guides will participate in a mock debate on a fictional provincial bill. They will take on a parliamentary role and some of the participants will wear a traditional costume. Roles consist of the government and opposition MPPs, Speaker, Clerk, and Sergeant-at-Arms. Roles will be assigned at random, so everyone (chaperones included) must be prepared to use their imaginations. Following the moderated debate, the bill will be put to a vote.
Visit our Teaching Tools and Lesson Plans section to prepare your students prior to their visit.
2019 Dates (Saturdays):
April 6th (10:30 am to 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm), May 4th (1:30 pm to 3:00 pm), October 26th (10:30 am to 12:00 pm), November 16th (10:30 am to 12:00 pm)*
In addition, the Scouts and Guides Program is also available on request throughout the week for groups of 20 or more.
To book a program for your group, please call 416-325-0061, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that due to parliamentary activities, program dates, activities and times are subject to change without notice.